Monday, September 27, 2010

Let the Classes Begin!

So I finally had my first day of classes. No more Italian for 2 1/2 or 3 hours, a variety of classes for once.

Now, I'm used to killing myself at Butler when it comes to number of classes. I had three requirements I needed to get plus I had to take Italian. That means I'm only taking four classes (a total of 15 credits) making my day wonderful. My Italian class is three days a week for an hour and a half (some Fridays are for three hours though and the others we have off for a long weekend), my two other classes are for an hour and fifty minutes twice a week, and then I have 0-2 lessons a week for an hour depending on my horn teacher's travel schedule (this week I do not have a lesson, but some weeks I have two).

So, my beautiful schedule is the following:

MONDAY:
9-10:30 Italian 100
1:35-3:25 Finding the Author: Masterworks of 20th Century Italian Literature in Translation
3:35-5:25 Music Performance workshop

TUESDAY:
9:05-10:55 Music Performance Workshops
(2:00 lesson some weeks)

WEDNESDAY:
9-10:30 Italian 100
1:5-3:25 Finding the Author: Masterworks of 20th Century Italian Literature in Translation

THURSDAY:
No Classes!! Woot! (except the occasional 2:00 lesson)

FRIDAY:
9-12 Italian 100 (but only some weeks)

So, since I have every class (minus lessons) on Monday I've now been to all of them.

The shorter time for Italian was super nice and I'm very excited for our field study on Friday where we are going to learn about wine, cheese, and other products of Italy at this wine club type thing which includes a tasting!

My literature class seems interesting. Although all my classes are taught in English they are taught by Italians so that makes it very interesting. I'm excited to have some new stuff to read, especially as I've realized that I've read very little by Italian authors (the only one I can think of is Primo Levi who we are reading in the class).

I've actually been attending my Music Performance Workshop already but things seemed a little more structured today. He is planning performances and I'm supposed to get Strauss no. 1 ready by the end of October or beginning of November. I better kick it into high gear.

I also found out that we have a lecture series that I will have to attend a few of. It seems pretty exciting and is followed by a themed aperitivo after. My literature teacher planned the first one which is salumi e pane which is going to salami and bread from all over Italy. I'm rather excited.

It was great to have a variety of classes and to have a much freer schedule this week! Can't wait to see how all my classes pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment