Thursday, September 16, 2010

Milano Happenings

Here's some various things that have been going on since I've been in Milan:

Italian Class:
I have this every week day for 2 1/2 hours. It's pretty cool and we learn a lot, I feel decently comfortable ordering a bar (bars in Italy are for many things besides alcohol such as breakfast food or lunch food). One day we went in groups to Cattolica (the university) and had to ask Italian students (in Italian) various questions about themselves and about different Italian hand gestures.
I've also moved myself up when people ask me things in Italian outside of school from saying "non parlo italiano" (I don't speak Italian) to "non parlo italiano bene" (I don't speak Italian well). I think it's an improvement.

Wednesday, September 8th:
I went shopping for the first time! I discovered OVS which is a well priced, quality store that I've decided I love. I got two shirts, two sweaters, and a scarf to expand my wardrobe some since it's pretty small (I got here in one suitcase, remember?).

Thursday, September 9th:
It was Vogue's Fashion's Night Out in Milan so I headed to go see some of it. I only spent about an hour there and apparently we missed out on the awesome area, but the part we went to the stores were open later than usual and had DJs and other fun things going on. I ended up getting a bag for carrying books and such in at this place called Carpisa which I've seen a lot of women with. It's very well priced and I can say I bought something at Fashion's Night Out in Milan!

Friday, September 10th:
Well, you can read about Venice below, but I had my first horn lesson! My professor's name is Ermes Pecchinini and he seems very nice. He was complimentary about my playing and wants to work mostly on expression (which I expected since Italians are very expressive with music). I don't have another lesson for two weeks because of his traveling but I'm looking forward to it and am motivated to practice, particularly my expression.

Tuesday, September 14th:
My 4 euro for fruit last week was a rip off. I got two kilos of fruit (these yellow things I can't name and nectarines) for 3 euro! Yay!

Wednesday, September 15th:
I decided to culture myself and toured the Brera which is an art museum made mostly of Italian masters from the Renaissance to very early Impressionism. I enjoyed it a lot. They also have a small modern collection which was donated including a Picasso painting. I saw many Madonna con Bambino (Madonna and Child) and tried to count for my dad but, alas, I lost count. There had to be at least fifty and the museum wasn't tiny but it was a lot smaller than the Art Institute of Chicago.
We went out for aperitivo again. I love this tradition. Especially because we do it the student way where we stock up on lots of finger food/appetizers and count that for dinner. For a buffet of finger foods and a drink it was only 9 euro which is great since the drinks were 7 euro alone.

Thursday, September 16th:
Registered for classes! Yay! I have 4: horn lessons, Music Performance Workshop, Italian 100, and a literature class called Finding the Author: Italian Masterworks in Translation which I'm actually rather excited about. I'm also excited that I have no classes on Thursday and I'm done at 11am on Tuesdays. Time to explore Milan? I think so! I've already started my lists. If you've been to Milan before let me know what you liked and I'll try to get to it! Suggestions are always welcome!

~

Other observations about Milan:
-It is not touristy. After the visit to Venice I've realized how much I love that most people in Milan are Milanese. Of course, we do get tourists. Often times they come up to people in the program to help them get somewhere (they're normally really bad at the metro). But it's much more real here with the fewer amounts of tourists.
-Speaking of the metro...it's crowded. And, apparently prone to striking. Oh joy. At least they still operate during the morning and evening rush hour (I can't even imagine how crowded it will be then)
-Even though I know the euro is more than the dollar, things (at least food-wise) seem cheaper here. At the market especially (see above) but at the grocery story we go to there are really good prices on pretty quality food. I buy a lot of pasta. Good thing I walk a lot and always take the stairs.
-They LOVE their dogs. And I love them for it. I see golden retrievers sitting on the metro with us and on the way to Venice this long-haired dachshund had its own seat. It was rather adorable. However, I'm unsure if it's in good Italian manners for me to pet a dog if I happen to be near it. Right now I'm just hoping for a dog to approach me first so I don't feel weird. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to strike up a short conversation in Italian with the owner!

No comments:

Post a Comment